Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Making more letter writing friends

A few weeks ago, I responded to the "Receive Free Post" offer at Post Letters! It's a blog campaign to promote better letter writing.

According to the blog,
"Post Letters is a UK-based, worldwide movement to encourage, promote and take delight in the activity of writing letters and sending post. Both a call to action and a description of our time, Post Letters needs your help.

We bring people together to think about Post in the Twenty First Century, organise letter readings and writings, present you with new ideas for your post, commission artists and writers to produce new mail art, produce Post Events and much more besides."


I received my mailing last week...a sheet of paper decorated with leaves cut out of a variety of papers. It was quite elegant.

Since the purpose of Post Letters! is to encourage people to write more letters, I used that paper to write a letter to a person I found on sendsomething.net, an online list of "Mail Enthusiasts" who love to receive things in the mail. I let the recipient know where the paper came from. I even recycled the envelope from Post Letters! and used it to mail my letter to the sendsomething.net pen pal.

I just find it so interesting that there are so many sites out there dedicated to letter writing!

4 comments:

The Missive Maven said...

"I just find it so interesting that there are so many sites out there dedicated to letter writing!"

Isn't it grand??

I got a letter from PostLetters last week, too, but they didn't include a return address! Now I can't write back to say thank-you! I find this a bit frustrating.

Wanda said...

...And I received the aforementioned piece of mail this morning! :) I love it! The leaves will probably find their way into one of my mixed media or collage pieces. And about the envelope - I LOVE brown paper bags and things made from them. The color, texture, weight and consistancy of that paper is wonderful to me. It will definately be used in my art work some way, too. Thanks Carla! :)

Wendy said...

I got one from PostLetters, too. It was hilarious. I'll have to post about it later, maybe do a picture. They are a great group.

Like Missive Maven... I wish there had been a return address!

The Missive Maven said...

PostLetters return address - I emailed him, and he gave me the address.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...