Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009: The Year of the Letter

I know, I know. With everything there is to do today, who has time to sit down and actually write a letter? We barely have time, some days, to hit "Reply" to an e-mail or tap out a text message response.

But, what better way to connect with the ones we love, to let them know that we think so much of them that we made time in our busy schedules to write a "real" letter?

I did a test-run last year, sending out about a month's worth of letters to family and friends. I deemed it a success, having received several letters in return, many from family and friends who were surprised to have received a real letter from me.

But, I wanted more. I wanted to do more. So, I developed this project, 365 Letters. It is my plan to write a letter a day throughout the year 2009.

I'll let you know how I'm doing through this blog. But, I don't want any letter recipient to think that they got a letter just so that I would have something to write about or so that I could meet my goal. My friends and family, and my connections to them, are the reasons for the project and this blog, not the other way around.

I hope my friends and family are happy to hear from me and that I'll get lots of letters in return!

I hope you'll join me in my quest to make 2009 "The Year of the Letter."

11 comments:

CaffeinatedFrenzy said...

That's a great idea. There's nothing nicer than a real, handwritten letter. It's personal and it shows a person really put time and thought into it.

Wendy said...

Yay, you! I love this idea. You're awesome for doing this and promoting the art of the handwritten letter!

I'd like to give you an award from my site to yours. It's not a tag award, so you don't pass it on. You can read about it here:

Message in a Bottle Site Award

PostMuse said...

Wonderful! I send about 5-7 letters/notes a week, but don't make a point of one a day. I do send at least 5 postcards a day, though. I might just try for a daily letter, just because it makes me feel SOOOOO good to seal an envelope and put it in the mailbox, lift that little red flag and then imagine the smile the recipient will have when they find something other than a bill in their mailbox.

The Missive Maven said...

I'm a pretty frenzied letter writer, as well - I consider it a sort of addiction. I write more than 365 letters a year, but it's true that an occasional day will go by without me writing a letter. I get really twitchy when that happens, though. :-)
If you're looking for more folks to whom to send letters, on a dry sort of day for a whim, I recommend sendsomething.net.

Have fun! I hope your friends and family all appreciate this wonderfully sincere effort.

girlzoot said...

Good luck in this. I know it isn't exactly the same, but from 10/23/06 to 10/23/07 I sent a piece of mail (letter, postcard, or swap every day that USPS did mail. I did almost exactly the same way you did, with a dry run of a month first and then gung-ho. It went well, and I still send a lot of mail.

Good luck in your year. It was a lot of fun when I did mine, although letter writing promises to be more challenging!

Anonymous said...

I think this is an amazing idea! I agree that people take way too much of an advantage of email and instant access online.Personally, I LOVE getting mail, in my actual mailbox by my front door, that doesn't try to make me pay for something! lol

I wish I had your dedication! Kudos to you!

---Jen-

ARTERY said...

whatta great idea. I remember my love letters sent in high school. I even practiced my handwritten. Goodluck to your project.

Cornelia Seigneur - Finding the Adventure in Motherhood and Life said...

There is nothing like receiving/writing a hand-written note-- whether it be thank you letter or just a hell0, we need to keep this art alive- what a great idea- [do I see a book here ; )]

cornelia seigneur
west linn oregon
writermom.net

Missy said...

Good luck to you! I started something similar this year, also. I vowed to write 1 letter each month to a person (family, friend, acquaintance) that has made a difference or an impact in my life. I want to tell them how they have changed or enhanced my life and thank them. It's been received very well. The handwritten letter or note is such a thing of the past, and it's a real shame.

Theresa Williams said...

Hello, I stumbled upon your blog and am wondering if you managed to write a letter every day of 2009 so far. I also love letters and started a blog which is a repository of letters about writing and writers. I call it "The Letter Project." Stop in if you are interested: http://theletterproject.wordpress.com/

Good luck with your own project: I think it's great. I also use letter writing in my university teaching. I hate the idea of people losing touch with sending letters through snail mail.

not me said...

i have always wanted to do this. && i really like your blog. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...