Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Stamps of our Ancestors


One of my other hobbies/interests is genealogy. I've been tracing my family tree since I was a teenager, taking some extended breaks every now and then.

An interesting section on the Smithsonian National Postal Museum site is the "Collecting Ancestral Homelands" stamp collecting page. Individuals can tell their story (in 200 words or less), and their family's history will be posted along with a stamp.

As a typical American, I have a variety of "ancestral homelands," but the one I've visited is what is now called the Czech Republic. My great-grandparents came from that area in the early 1900s. Somewhere I have stamps that were on letters sent from Czechoslovakia.

What an interesting concept at the National Postal Museum!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved stumbling across your blog from Kate @ "our little sins" I've only been blogging for 3months now and wow I never knew anyone else loved snail mail too! I'm awaiting my superhero postcards in the mail for 100day challenge they are so cute! I love that your looking at your family tree my grandpa made ours into a book so special! Have a good day :)

Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...