Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fun Project

Through the friends I've made with this blog, I discovered Postcrossing.com and joined up.

If you're not familiar with it, Postcrossing.com is a postcard penpal type group. You sign up for free and request the name and address of someone to send a postcard to. When you get the name and address, you also get a postcard ID number that you put on your postcard. Then, when your recipient receives your postcard, they log it into the Web site and everyone knows your postcard has arrived.

This is a fun project for me because I used to collect postcards from my penpals, and I have a lot of unused postcards that I bought through the years but never sent. This gives me a chance to put those postcards to better use than sitting in a box under my bed. Many of them are probably considered "vintage" postcards, since I've had them for more than 20 years.

I've mailed out two postcards so far, one to Finland and one to China. The one to Finland arrived safely. I have four more ready to go to the post office.

There is a Postcrossing blog, for some interesting notes.

Of course, this isn't replacing my letter writing project; it's just a little side hobby. It doesn't take long to jot a note on a postcard and address it. And, I might make some new friends!

3 comments:

Gal Friday said...

I was once a VERY active member of Post Crossing and really had a great time with it(and got cards from and had to send to Finland the most-I think Postcrossing must be extremely popular with people in Finland!).
At one point(after a year or so) I quit, only because I had far too many postcards by then in my collection, and found I didn't have time for it anymore(got more int blogging).
However, I now have two penpals I "met" through PostCrossing...
I really like this blog because letter-writing is something I also enjoy(but have not been keeping u with it lately..), but don't know if I could stick to the challenge of writing a letter each day, like you have!

*Tina*

Okami said...

Very cool site - I just joined. I hope that I can make time to participate fully. Thanks.

SueFitz said...

I've had a great time at postcrossing. I've been lucky enough to received well over 200 postcards thru Pxing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...