Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Letters in the News

Before she was the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton wrote a letter to the All England Club, thanking the club for its hospitality during her trip to Wimbledon. The letter was written in 2008 but has recently been put on display at the club.

Unfortunately, the letter contained a couple of spelling mistakes, and that is garnering all of the attention now. I hope all of the negative publicity doesn't discourage Kate or anyone else from writing letters.

I'm a professional editor, but I take that hat off when I'm reading and writing letters. OK, so maybe back in my younger days I might have said something to my brother about a spelling or grammar mistake he may or may not have made in a letter he wrote to me. But that was just the big sister in me. And, as a mom, I do try to convince my 11-year-old to read over emails and text messages before she sends them out. But, I'm sure even my own letters, emails, text messages and even blog posts have mistakes in them. So, I try not to judge others harshly.

1 comment:

Plush Possum Studio said...

To err is human as they say! Public life leads to criticism, doesn't it? Too bad, too. Middleton seems a pleasant young woman.
Interesting post! Thanks for your Follow!
Rose

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...