Friday, August 27, 2010

Letter #239 -- Until We Meet Again

Do you know someone who is leaving, moving away, going some place? Write a good-bye letter to them.

I remember when my family left Muskogee, Oklahoma, after having lived there less than a year, when I was in the third grade. My best friend there, Debra Perry, wrote me a good-bye letter and gave me a parting gift -- a lemon. Now, that may not sound like the best present to you, but to a 9-year-old girl, it was great! You see, Debra ate lemons all the time. I think she put salt on them and ate them sort of like other people eat oranges, or maybe grapefruits. I might get a piece of lemon every now and then, but my mom didn't think it was such a good idea to just sit around eating lemons, so I never had my very own lemon. Debra knew that, and a lemon was the best gift her third-grade mind could think of. Debra and I continued to write letters back and forth to each other for a while, but I've long since lost touch with her. Even an occasional check on Facebook has yet to let me find her again. Maybe some day our paths will cross again.

Today, write a letter to a friend who is leaving and vow to keep writing.

Letter writing topic for August 27, 2010

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...