Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Letters vs. E-mail

Why do I write letters?

I write letters to friends and family because I'm thinking of them and I want them to know that. I write letters because when I think of something I have to say to someone far away, my mind just automatically says, "Write it down!" I write letters because it's somehow soothing to sit, pen in hand, stationery in lap, and put down my thoughts. I write letters because I like traditions. I write letters because generations of humans before me have written letters. I write letters because people like to receive letters.

I write letters to strangers because I have found them through pen pal services/sites and they, like me, hate an empty mailbox. I write letters to them because they will write me back and tell me about life in their locations, giving me a better knowledge of the world. I write letters to them because I can share something of myself with others.

Why do I write e-mails?

I write e-mails because they are quick. I can send out a question and get back an answer in a matter of minutes. I write e-mails because some people don't answer the letters that I send them. I write e-mails because I am sometimes impatient and don't want to wait the 24 hours or several days or weeks for a letter to be delivered, near or far; I want my news to be heard immediately. I write e-mails because it's cheaper than a long-distance phone call.

Why do you write letters? Why do you write e-mails?

6 comments:

phonelady said...

I write letters because i want to hear what is going on in my pen pals lives and locations . I want to hear about their kids, pets , family etc . The only time I write emails is to companys that I dont want to wait wks for a response . thanks for sharing and posting this .

ohjoana said...

I write letters because my handwriting is a part of me, because my my feelings expressed through my handwriting are a gift to who read me, I feel the same when I read a letter from another person. Our handwriting is capable to show our mood, something that an e-mail can't. I write letter because it will travel round the worls to reach someones mailbox, and that person will smile to me arriving. I write letter because I feel a poet.

I write e-mails when letter take too much to arrive, I write them because I friendship can't wait, I write e-mails because they fly, and my messages travel so fast that I don't need to feel missiing someone, I can leave a goodnight message that someone in the other said will sleep tight with my message in his/her mind.

I love correspondence!

Very nice blog.

Love,
J.

stephanie said...

writing letters is a beautiful thing. a handwritten letter says i care for you enough to take the time to put ink on parchment just for you. what is more lovely than a permanent piece of me sent to you....a piece of art.

writing emails can also be a wonderful thing. they are quick in a pinch. nothing compares to personal correspondence.

your blog is divine. thank you for sharing.

stephanie

Katherine R. Willson said...

Thanks so much for the postcard (Royal Caribbean promotional) - what an unexpected treat! I'm curious how you got my name and address - we were swapping pals on Swap-Bot? Thanks again!
- Katherine R. Willson

Stephanie said...

I write e-mails to people I don't know the address of, because they don't think that's important, because we grew up without letters being important. I write letters to my friends and family to tell them what's going on in my life and to ask them what's going on in yours. I write terse e-mails because they seem more like a drain on my time, whereas letters can go on and on and don't try to pull me to finish them up and go on to something else. E-mail has too much of a rushed quality. I really hate getting long e-mails and writing long e-mails because I just don't feel like I have the time or thoughts to respond right away. I'd much rather receive a letter!

Anonymous said...

What I think about the article is that it was well written because the article gave a lot of information about letters and emails. There were many similarities and differences that can be from letters and emails. This will be a good help for people that want to send people something and for them to find a faster way for the person to receive it and then reply back when they have read the email or letter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...