Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Not feeling like yourself?

In case you missed it, Saturday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day. You know, "Arrrrrr!" and "Ahoy, matey!"

I must say, I forgot to "talk like a pirate" on Saturday, but it did get me to thinking...has anyone ever written a letter like a pirate? Assuming you're not really a pirate, that would take some imagination and a little bit of role-playing, I guess.

Sort of like "ghost-letter writing." I've never written a ghost letter, but I've read about them online. At first, I thought "ghost letters" were related to "ghostwriting," which involves a writer writing something for someone else who presents it as their own. I think a lot of celebrities hire ghostwriters to write their autobiographies for them.

But, that's not what ghost letters are all about. Ghost letters are letters people write as if they were written by a historical or fictional character. For example, what would Nancy Drew have written to the Hardy Boys? Or, maybe, what advice would George Washington have given Abraham Lincoln?

Have you ever written a ghost letter? Who did you pretend to be? Who did you send the letter to? Did they write back? As who? I'm curious. Tell me about it!

2 comments:

phonelady said...

no never wrote a ghost letter but I think it would be awesome to do so and what fun I think that would be . thanks for sharing and thanks for posting a blog that makes you think .

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i have actually celebrated TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY and i'm not one of those weird pirate living sorts - i just had a friend who was into obscure holidays and so we celebrated it with a bunch of our friends and let the kids dress as pirates

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...