Monday, April 20, 2009

Preventing mistakes

I recently heard about applications cell phone users can program to prevent them from calling or texting certain people when they're drunk. Apparently this is a problem for some people, and the "Bad Decision Blocker" or "Don't Dial!" prevents the partier from calling old boyfriends/girlfriends, leaving stupid messages on your boss's phone, accidentally sending inappropriate text messages to your mom.

I guess bad decision phone calls were always a possibility in the past, but maybe the process of finding a quarter and a pay phone was enough of a delay to stop most of those phone calls.

And, for years now people have had issues with e-mails mistakenly sent to the wrong person.

It seems to me, that letter writing prevents many of those mistakes. Samara at the Letter Lover blog recently wrote about "unsent letters," letters she's writing with no intention of sending. The letters serve as a form of therapy for her, allowing Samara to get some things off her mind without getting involved in another argument or discussion with the recipient.

Samara doesn't say what she does with her unsent letters. Maybe she stores them away, maybe she burns them, maybe she shreds them. No matter what, she doesn't send them. No need for a "Bad Decision Blocker" in this situation. She has time to think about what she's doing and come up with a plan.

I suppose there have been cases of drunken letter writing and mailing in history, but I doubt it's ever been as much of a problem as drunk texting is. I've never heard of a proposal to put a breathalyzer on a mail box!

This is Card and Letter Writing Month, so let's all write a letter or two!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I wrote a letter and mailed it today in celebration of National Card and Letter Month! I even copied out a favorite poem of mine into it.

Though it is a letter that I almost wish I hadn't sent, but I have to have the courage to put things out there sometime.

Samara O'Shea said...

Oh I'm honored to be mentioned here! I write my (unsent) letters and go so far as to seal and address them, but then I put them in my big box of letters. So I can re-read and laugh at myself someday!

Cheers,
Samara

Midway Records said...

I know when I was going through my divorce, I wrote letters to myself about how I felt, because I couldn't tell anyone all that was happening. It helped to be able to get it out of my system.

The Painted Nest said...

Dear Carla, My name is Deborah. I'm 51 years old. I haven't written letters in years, much to my shame. But after reading your blog I think it's time for a change. My mother passed away 9 years ago and I so longed for something with her hand writting on it and something where she said she loved me. And much to my surprise I found a birthday card with just that. That little card is my most valued TREASURE !!! I have made a point to write letters to my children telling them how much I love them and all their fine qualities. My mother's card has brought me so much comfort through the years. And I agree this is a dying art! Thank-you for reminding us to take the time to write down what is important and say what is important so that we always have a part of someone we can not only hold in our hearts but also in our hands! Bless You, Deborah

365 Letters said...

Oh, Deborah! I'm so happy you found that card! And that you've taken the time to write to your children. I'm sure you'll continue the tradition with your grandchildren! I can't count how many important e-mails I've lost over the years, but I still have almost every letter I've ever received!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...