Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Postcard Exhibit

These days, I'm working on my letter-writing project, but when I was in high school, I started a postcard collection. I'm sure it's still around somewhere.

So, I have an interest in postcards and in the postcard projects, such as Post to Post, Post Muse, PostCrossing, and more.

My ears perked up Sunday when I heard about a story on CBS's "The Sunday Morning Show" about an exhibit of postcards. The story focused on an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, which is featuring some of the 9,000 postcards in Walker Evans' collection.

Evans was an American documentary photographer who shot many photos in the Depression. He collected the postcards as snapshots of everyday life in the early 1900s.

According to the story, at one time, 800 million postcards were mailed a year in the United States. I don't think that many are mailed today.

A slide show featuring some of the postcards can be seen online on "The Sunday Morning Show"'s Web site. Currently, it's under the Photo Essay section. If it's moved, just use the site's search engine to look up "Evans."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...