Monday, March 2, 2009

Typewriter tales

I heard an interesting story on NPR this morning, all about typewriters.

The NPR story includes an interview with Ish Arora, a 16-year-old whose parents gave her a typewriter for her last birthday. According to the story:
Ish, a high school sophomore, does all her homework on a laptop but writes poetry on her Remington. She's also used it to write letters to her friends. "They were ecstatic to actually receive a letter in the mail from a typewriter."
How interesting to hear about a 16-year-old who's not only using a typewriter, but who is writing letters!

From a writer's point of view, anything about writing is interesting, including typewriters.

When I was in high school, I used to type my research papers on my mom's old manual typewriter. Of course, I was usually working on the paper really late the night before it was due, so often, I would hand-write what I wanted to say, and my mom would type it for me. She was a faster typer than I was, and back then, I couldn't "write" at the keyboard. I had to write it in long-hand first. I remember several late nights with the two of us at the typewriter, me scribbling out my work and her typing it up for me. She's a great mom, isn't she!

When I went off to college, my parents gave me my very own electric typewriter. It was a fancy model with built-in correction tape...no need for little bottles of correction fluid.

Now, I will say that computers existed at that time. In fact, my last semester of high school, I took a "computer math" course so that I could learn how to use a computer. I was planning on working for the Texas Tech University student newspaper, and I knew they used computers there. But, very few other students had access to computers, and not very many teachers would accept papers done on the computer, mostly because of the poor quality of the print-outs.

So, I used that typewrite a lot, especially for resumés and cover letters. I'm sure I got my first professional job with a resumé typed on that typewriter.

I still have it somewhere. I also have two or three antique, manual typewriters, including one that belonged to my late aunt, Gladys McKeown. Maybe I should get them in working order...maybe I'll write a letter or two on them...

6 comments:

Lotus Out Loud ॐ said...

Very cute story! :)

Anonymous said...

Fine papers filled with the words of typewritten (or even hand written) letters are a rare treasure.

I always check the computer printed mail letters I receive, hoping that at least the sender has hand written their signature.

Unfortunately, few people take the time to personalize their written interactions.

So good that you're bringing attention to the disappearing art of personalized letter writing. Thank you!

elsie said...

I love NPR and I love your guest to write a letter a day - I won't be able to resist following how that's going for you!

Just discovered your blog on the ETSY forum thread- come visit me sometime:

http://namaste-elsiee.blogspot.com/

Woman in a Window said...

Hey there,
I picked up a couple old typewriters for my kids (6 and 8) at yard sales. It was hilarious to see all the neighborhood kids going nuts over them, like they were really something special. I guess they are.

freshie (and zero) said...

I used an Underwood typewriter from circal 1912 as a guestbook at my wedding reception and it was SO cool to read the comments afterwards. Although one of my mom's friends commented that they like their laptop better - I guess they completely missed the point. I still have the typewriter but haven't found any place special enough to keep it out on display.

Wendy said...

I like that really thin crunchy paper that people used to type on. You can't find that kind of paper anymore. I wonder why.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...