Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Garrison Keillor on Letter Writing

Somehow, in all my letter writing research, I've just now come across this essay on "How to Write a Letter" by Garrison Keillor. It is superb, so elegantly written! I found a copy of the essay on Annie Cristina's blog, "My Sweet Old Etcetera."

Here's just a taste of it:

Such a sweet gift - a piece of handmade writing, in an envelope that is not a bill, sitting in our friend's path when she trudges home from a long day spent among wahoos and savages, a day our words will help repair. They don't need to be immortal, just sincere. She can read them twice and again tomorrow: You're someone I care about, Corrine, and think of often and every time I do you make me smile.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...