Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas cards and letters

This week in the United States, many people will be celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday. Here, many people who celebrate Christmas wait until after Thanksgiving to start decorating for Christmas or sending out Christmas cards and letters. (Although, I have already seen Christmas decorations on several houses in the area, and the stores have had Christmas stuff for sale since Halloween or earlier.)

I'm curious about Christmas greetings in other countries. Here, we have the day after Thanksgiving as the unofficial start of the Christmas season, and I'm wondering when people in other countries start preparing for Christmas. Do you start earlier than us, beginning with Halloween, instead of Thanksgiving. Or, do you start later than us, waiting until Dec. 1 or later to start sending out the Christmas cards and letters?

I'd love to see some comments on this topic!

7 comments:

phonelady said...

i have started today sending out the christmas cards and this is because I have already received some . so as for other countries i dont know since I live in the same one you do I hope we find out .

Stephanie said...

I think in the US the Christmas stuff is creeping up earlier and earlier, as evidenced by people already receiving cards and starting to decorate.

Shelley said...

Although I live in the US, I don't like to decorate or put up my tree right away. It was a family tradition to put up the Christmas tree on my grandmother's Dec. 15th birthday and leave it up until the weekend after New Years Day. I think we tend to rush the season too early and then it doesn't feel as special...at least not to me.

Anonymous said...

Here, in Canada, we have our Thanksgiving the 2nd Monday in October. Christmas decorations usually start going up right after Halloween. I went to the grocery store just days after our Thanksgiving and the store was all trimmed and playing Christmas music. We (my family) tend to wait until at least December 1st to start decorating. The temperatures have been so mild here though lately that alot of people are taking the oppourtunity to get the outside lights up. No snow here yet and I hope we don't get any this winter. :o)

The Missive Maven said...

I put up rather an extended rant about it on my own blog.

Anonymous said...

I started working on ours this weekend. It's been a tough year though so we're making our own in order to save money. We haven't received any yet but expect (& hope for) some soon. I especially like hearing from old friends that I don't have time to stay in touch with through the year but don't want to lose contact with either. As for decorating, we'll get out our Advent wreath and calendar now but the rest of the Christmas decorations won't go up until mid-December.
Jp in Ca

Anonymous said...

I have made our Christmas cards since 1997, & I start on them as ealy as October 1st to get them done. I mail on Decemeber 10th because I read that on Martha's calendar in "Martha Stewart Living" one year.

M Schrock
Franklin, Indiana, USA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...